These foods are good for urinary tract health and memory function. Also healthy aging & healthy lungs. They lower the risk of some cancers. Blue and purple shaded fruits and vegetables add health-enhancing flavonoids, phytochemicals, and antioxidants. >Contain nutrients which include lutein, zeaxanthin, resveratrol, vitamin C, fiber, flavonoids, ellagic acid, and quercetin. Similar to the previous nutrients, these nutrients support retinal health, lower LDL cholesterol, boost immune system activity, support healthy digestion, improve calcium and other mineral absorption, fight inflammation, reduce tumor growth, act as an anticarcinogens in the digestive tract, and limit the activity of cancer cells.Blueberries, specifically, contain high amounts of Vitamin C, folic acid, potassium and fiber. Examples? Acai Berries, Black Currants, Black Salsify, Blackberries, Blueberries, Eggplants, Grapes, Plums, Prunes, Raisins.
Nutrients found in The Blues and Purples
– Good Sources: purple cauliflower, purple cabbage
– Benefits: Derived from sulfur compounds in cruciferous veggies, these may slow the metabolism of carcinogens.
– Cooking Tip: Steam cauliflower: it’s likely the best prep for retaining indoles. Toss chopped kale with mashed avocado and olive oil.
2. ELLAGIC ACID:
– Good Sources: berries
– Benefits: The phytochemical may lessen the effect of estrogen in promoting breast-cancer cell growth.
– Cooking Tip: Keep frozen berries on hand for smoothies. For a spritzer, mash them and top with club soda.
– Good Sources: red cabbage, eggplant, grapes, berries
– Benefits: These antioxidants improve brain function and balance, and they may reduce the risk of cancer, stroke, and heart disease.
– Cooking Tip: Try swapping in finely shredded cabbage for your typical salad greens and toss with avocado and red onion.